Creating your character.

A place for all your Dristin chat
Bringer
Re: Creating your character.

Post by Bringer » Mar 12, 2008 7:34 am

One thing I'm not sure if any other games have done is this.

Each char starts with two names, a First (Main) and Last (Family).

I.E.
Blood <-- First
Bringer <--- Family

Let's say I'm playing the game and make a friend, and his name as I see it is Bane (his first name). We become friends and decide to start a family, kinda like a guild, but it would indicate closer ties than a guild. We could change our last names for a fee, for them to match.

A typical guild would be composed of 2 - 5 families or so.
A character's tag you see will only be comprised of his first name, only after inspecting would you be able to check his family name.

Nameless

Post by Nameless » Mar 12, 2008 7:50 am

Haven't seen that in any game I've played atleast. Sounds quite interesting. Nice idea.
Pure Insanity

Munx

Post by Munx » Mar 14, 2008 8:12 pm

Thats not a bad idea. Hopefully Rich & Doug'll consider it.

I know two people that would love to have SIPJAR as their last name.

Abscess
Developer
Developer

Post by Abscess » Mar 14, 2008 9:41 pm

I personally do not care for this. I like freedom, within a few guild lines, when making a name.
Signed,
-Ab

Magus Binx

Post by Magus Binx » Mar 15, 2008 7:56 pm

While on paper it is a decent idea, to enact it would be harder on the players themselves when making a character.

Say there are 50 people that want to use the last name 'Bringer' but the first person who created the family doesn't want everyone joining his family. . . What is to stop them from joining anyway, even if only to provoke the original. Or if there is a 'Family invitation' type deal going on and someone comes in months or years later, trying to use the name s/he plays most games with, but can't use the name because the last name belongs to a group of pre-exsisting players, whether they are still playing or not. To make it work best, you would have to just select a first name later, and the 'Family' name would have to be tagged on later, via a guild-like system. That wouldn't be so bad if a guild in Dristin was known as a 'Family'. Then again, picking a unique single word or hyphenated first name can be just as hard.

Bringer

Post by Bringer » Mar 18, 2008 10:00 am

Of course the first player to make the name would have all rights and powers to enable others to take his/her family name.

It's simply for more diversification. People who want to proclaim they are part of something besides a guild.

Would you think twice about attacking a guildless lvl 6 if his last name was Bringer?

I can just remember all the bullshit about protecting people who didn't carry the FS guild tag. It's a pain in the ass, people don't know the ties their victim have. Having alts in your guild suck too. I protected many close friends in Tibia who never carried the FS tag, and a lot of times they were harrassed and even killed because people were not aware of this. If they could have only been 'adopted' by me, taking my last name, not my guild, they would have been protected.

There's a lot of cool RP'ing elements that could be spawned from this.

Relic
Developer
Developer

Post by Relic » Mar 18, 2008 11:16 am

Would you think twice about attacking a guildless lvl 6 if his last name was Bringer?
I think thats a major problem in tibia. The whole mentality that a problem cannot exist ONLY between 2 people. It allways has to bring in 'higher' levels or 'protectors' etc. I think thats a bad thing.
Regards
-Relic

Bringer

Post by Bringer » Mar 18, 2008 11:15 pm

Well you're right. But it's impossible to stop people from having friends, be them strong or weak, and you can't stop them from helping eachother (unless you put in the skull system).

All you can do is nothing, or let would-be-attackers know what they're up against. Whether they attack or not, if that person is protected, the attacker will die.

Rephaim

Post by Rephaim » Mar 19, 2008 3:35 am

i actually like bringer's idea here.
formerly Melisande

Bo Jiggity Jenkins

Post by Bo Jiggity Jenkins » Mar 19, 2008 10:33 am

This guy will be known as Bo Jiggity Jenkins!!! Tis the most badass name throughout the land!