Want to contribute graphics?

Want to submit your artwork? This is the place.
Abscess
Developer
Developer
Re: Want to contribute graphics?

Post by Abscess » Jul 23, 2008 9:07 am

Light should always come from the top left. Yes we want it to look 3d using 2d tiles. That is the look we are going for. And we just don't want cartoon looking graphics. You can look at what tibia's graphic artist is now doing and do the complete opposite because he is way way too cartoony.
Signed,
-Ab

Relic
Developer
Developer

Re: Want to contribute graphics?

Post by Relic » Jul 23, 2008 12:38 pm

Annubis wrote:Good lord, and I thought this shit only happened on tibia forums... :~

Anyways, I had nothing to do, so I came here to see what was going on, since it's been a while I came here the last time... Mmmm... Anyone can help, right? I've got a question about the graphics then... It is very silly, but I really dislike doing something and then finding out that I did it the wrong way just because I didn't ask about how to do it. :|

How exactly "realistic" you want the graphics to be?
Since the game style will be 45 degree perspective, I assume it'll be a sort of emulated 3D¹, just like in Tibia, right? Well, it gives us a problem about the light (concerning where it comes from), because depending on how realistic you want the graphics to be, it's really important to set up a "default" light effect for the drawings. It usually doesn't affect items that have their own source of light (E.g. Wand of Inferno in Tibia), but for static things it's important.

I'l probably have more questions later, but right now this is the only one... :mrgreen:
Thanks

[]
Thiago
~

1 - For the ones who are not familiarised with the term, emulated 3D is the concept of a 2D drawing made in a way that looks like 3D. It is usually based on a 45 degree perspective put together with a sense of space concerning where an item is displayed. For instance, If you put a box upon a table you, for sure, know that the box has to be displayed above the table, a little bit to the left and up.
The red lines are the square meter limits (sqm limits).
As you can see, even though the box upon the table is in the sqm A, a part of it has to be displayed in the sqm B, and if a lot of items are put upon the box, it's probably going to take the sqm C as well.
I think you knew it, I just didnt think of a better way to explain what i wanted to say... :mrgreen:

for the first part. Once we go into testing, the site will be updated and from that point forrward 'flaming' wont be tollerated on the forum. The forums will be kept clean so people dont fear being insulted/berated simply for asking a question or talking about something. Although there maybe an open area where people who enjoy arguing about bs can go.

As far as lighting, As Ab said, the light source is the top left of the screen. In a 2d environment we cannot simulate a true lightsource, so a specific screen location is the next best definition. As long as you assume light is coming from the top left, most sprites should look correct.

Concerning realism. The look we would like to see is a realistic design for any object. Meaning while a magic sheild is a imaginary thing, it should still be drawn as if it is based in the real world, metal should look like metal, dirt like dirt, etc. Also as Ab said, it's really the 'cartoony' look that we are trying to stay away from.
Regards
-Relic